How to Host Your Event at Warwick’s
Warwick’s takes great pride in supporting authors, so thank you for considering Warwick’s as a place to host your event. Since we host more than 150 events per year, we thoroughly understand the challenges of organizing and managing successful events. Due to the sheer volume of requests we receive, written proposals are required to book an event, and you are urged to submit your proposal at least 3 months in advance. Warwick’s has been in business since 1896 and is consistently voted as San Diego’s favorite bookseller, so our events adhere to a very high standard. To help us determine if your event would be a good match for our community, please provide the following information:
- For an author event, a one-page summary of the book, and include publisher, ISBN number, price, and date of publication.
- For a lecture or workshop, a one-page proposal that includes the title or theme, what will be discussed or covered, who the intended audience is, and why this event would be a good match for Warwick’s.
- Any information regarding past publicity or events.
- A resume or bio that relates your experience with your book, including references with contact information.
- A realistic estimate of how many people you expect will attend your event, including an e-mail mailing list of whom you expect to invite to the event, as well as any local followings that you may have.
- If you have self-published your book or are published through a print-on-demand service, please advise accordingly, as you will need to supply your own books for the event on a consignment basis. In this case, Warwick’s will pay you 60% of your book sales.
- Your website address, which should include Warwick’s as a link for customers to purchase your book.
If we agree to host your event, we will require a non-refundable cooperative advertising fee of $300 at the time of booking. This fee will include the following:
- Press releases sent to all local TV, print, and radio media.
- E-mail calendar notices to approximately 6,000 customers.
- Print calendar to over 500 customers.
- In-store advertising, including flyers and event window display.
- On-line advertising on our website, and other event-related websites including, but not limited to, the Southern California Independent Booksellers Association (SCIBA), signonsandiego.com, and local media websites.
- Print advertising in the Sunday Book section of the San Diego Union Tribune, prior to your event.
- Any other marketing efforts we feel are unique and appropriate to your particular event.
- Staffing and venue for your event.
Once we receive your submission, please allow 30 days in which to be contacted. You may drop off or mail your submission materials to Events Coordinator, Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Avenue, La Jolla, CA 92037.